The building was designed by Charles Hove in 1892. Construction was completed the following year. Constructed in brick, the exterior walls are four bricks thick, the store fronts and windows are wood framing, as you see them today, restored in 2002.
The main floor had various businesses over the last 120 years, the first a Photo and Art shop, then a saloon. The adjoining storefront was a barber shop, The Olympic Café, and occassionally vacant.
Originally housed 12 sleeping rooms, the two deluxe suites in the front corners were complete with coal burning fireplaces and large luxury sleeping quarters. When the larger Monte Cristo Hotel was built in 1925, The Royal Hotel was converted into apartments.
The Cave Ice Cream and Confection Store survived the times. After Prohibition “The Cave” became the first licensed tavern in Downtown Everett and continued until 1976. The present owner Remodeled both store fronts into a restaurant and lounge. Now restored to the original floors, ceiling and brick walls, one-hundred twenty years later.
The “Vintage Café”
1510 Hewitt Avenue